A common question is “What do the different domain extensions mean?” Your website’s domain is, at its core, the base of all marketing. With that said, we want to explore the different and NEW domain extensions that are available for your company or organization.
A domain name is actually a gateway of understanding more about your organization. When you see a dot-Edu, you automatically make the education connection or with dot-Gov, you understand the political or government connection. So what does your domain extension tell your viewers?
• .com represents the word “commercial,” and is the most widely used extension in the world. Most businesses prefer a .com domain name because it is a highly recognized symbol for having a business presence on the Internet.
• .net represents the word “network,” and is most commonly used by Internet service providers, Web-hosting companies or other businesses that are directly involved in the infrastructure of the Internet. Additionally, some businesses choose domain names with a .net extension for their intranet Websites.
• .org represents the word “organization,” and is primarily used by non-profits groups or trade associations.
• .biz is used for small business websites.
Keep in mind that there is no rule to how many domains your website has. For instance, Stellar Blue has 11 domain names that direct people to our website. Domain names can be registered to highlight services or catchy slogans for marketing campaigns. Also, as you may know, domain names can be highly competitive. Sometimes another company off in another state or country already owns the domain name you want so you have to be creative in developing another domain name. However, this may be your chance! There are two new domain extensions we’d like to share with you. And since they are new, there might be an ideal extension for your company or organization:
• .co is used to capitalize on the abbreviation for the words “company,” “corporation,” “community” and “commerce.” This extension just recently became available to the public for registration; therefore, there will be more choices. Maybe you saw a Superbowl commercial highlighting this new extension?
• .pro is used for accredited professionals in the fields of law, accounting, engineering, medical, etc. As stated in Website Magazine, “Licensed professionals from anywhere in the world can register a Dot-Pro domain names. Dot-Pro is a restricted domain name, which means that it is only available for professions where an official credential is required for a business or individual to offer services.” Use the .pro shows the viewers that you are a licensed authority online.
Domain names are marketed in print material such as brochures and business cards as well as with online directories and social media channels. This is your chance to expand your creative marketing niche! Click here to check for domains!